So, in recent months I have conquered a Cheese-grater, climber my arse off and began to face many of my demons. But none of these, or even all the climbing competitions I took part in last year compared to this mornings events.
Having told you all about my change of volunteer role in Scouting I did what anyone would do; in preparation for an upcoming weekend.
I bought a tent!
I had previously gone to a large outdoors shop with a friend and had a good look at all they had on show, I fell in love with a canvas Tippee. However at just under £800 it wasn’t going to be for me at the moment. I was able to walk among various sizes and layouts. But as with everything, budget was my biggest factor.
I had a check list:
- To have a separate bedroom area.
- To be able to stand up in (although a little crouched was ok)
- Have windows.
- Have a black out bedroom area.
And with all this, and the wise words of a good friend who had bought many a tent. I bought one I felt fit the bill.
I bought a Vango Beta 450 XL in blue.
It arrived yesterday, sat in its box and making me itch with excitement. The rational in me thought I should wait until I had a friend over to help me, however the ‘kid in a candy store’ won out.
And I set about putting it up!
After all, it had an assembly guide of 15 minutes. How difficult could it REALLY be?
For a start, it took AN HOUR.
Oh and it was a tad bigger than my garden.
Also, with my garden being totally laid in patio, I wasn’t able to fully ‘pitch’ it. Although with a helping hand of my garden furniture and a few plant pots, I got pretty close!
I had watchful eyes in both Vicky and Fizz who seemed quite amused at times by my antics. They both had a thorough explore of it; both in its flat form and in its ‘pitched’ form.
I photographed my progress just for you.
In the beginning there was just a ground sheet and a flat tent.
And the instruction…..
3 poles, colour coded for ease with 1 pole longer than the other 2.
3 poles …. Check
colohr coded ….. check; if you count 2 being totally black and 1 having a grey section amongst the black colour?
1 longer than the other 2 …. Ummmm. Nope! 1 shorter (grey section) than the other 2 (totally black)
Maybe I should have stopped at that point. But given it was all out of the bag, no harm in carrying on.
So following the colour coding; or rather tiny little black or gray tabs of material on the end of the pole sleeve that I hoped was what the instructions were referring too, I carried on.
It wasn’t a easy as it should have been, not having the space to walk around the outside of the tent, it involves climbing over my garden wall (pictured about, it’s about 3f)
I also had to negotiate the poles with the shed and fence as fully extended they where pretty long (even the short one!)
And then came my garden furniture. With the help of a garden chair, a bench and some plant pots I was able to semi-secure the tent in place.
It was perfect!
The guide ropes and zip toggles are all light blue, there are tension bands on the inside and it has a ‘lip’ to save the weather getting in, should it be wet.
And the added bonus is that I only have to duck my head ever so slightly to move around.
It was hot, it was tricky; but oh wow it was fun! And I did it all by myself. I was bursting with pride, I sent the photos to a friend with the simple of caption
Look what I just did, not bad considering, am knackered now.
Woth the guide time of 15 minutes, with the advisory that first pitch may take slightly longer, I was happy when I discovered it took me and hour. Some people may not feel that is something to be proud of, but for someone who has never pitched a tenth before, who has considerably limited vision and who has no help either with reading the instructions or pointing out where the pole sleeves were…… I am totally amazed and proud with my achievement.
…… Now to take it down!
In comparison that took 30 minutes, it was a simple reverse of the pitch. I folded and rolled my tent, then the ground sheet and even managed to get it all back in the bag! It wasn’t quite as pretty as when I took it out, but with a quick sitting on to help remove the air. It was done and ready to put away for camping later next month.
Now to see how long it takes to pitch in a field !!